Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tip-of-the-Day: Ain't no sunshine when she's gone [indoors]

While sunglasses are a great accessory to bring a look together, you've heard me say it time and time again; never wear your shades indoors. Use the time as you pass through the doorway of a building to gracefully pull them off your face while you make a smooth James Bond-esque entrance.

What I haven't written about, however, is where to place them once you take them off. Here is my personal swagger "grading scale" on where to keep your sunglasses:

The Tourist/Sports Strap: D-

On top of the head: D

In the shirt collar (can also be done with a collared shirt): C

Folded in the chest pocket (facing out): B

Folded in the chest pocket (facing in with one arm out): B+

Folded in the chest pocket of the suit jacket/blazer (facing in with one arm out): A

In the vintage Filson duffel bag: A+

Yours in style, SB

3 comments:

Green said...

Hi, I've just encountered your blog and read some posts that impressed me, I mean not only the content itself of the posts but also the way you talk, you are such a polite man, "inside and outside gentleman"!
By the way, are all drawings on your blog done by yourself? I like the drawings, as well.

L.A.S said...

Love the Filson shout out. They often take the backseat to L.L. Bean as the quintessential American outdoor goods company, but are just as highly regarded in my mind.

I just posted on my own blog regarding the tote recently featured on the men.style.com blog. Getting a bag that is functional, manly and worth its price point is a difficult task, but when you find the right one it can set you apart in a great way.

As far as your recommendation on the chest pocket with arm out move, I agree, though this is easier to pull off with wire frames then plastic frames. The GQ braintrust is always pimping old school aviators with the wrap around stems as a great accessory when tucked into the pocket. I couldn't agree more.

Cameron Ferrin said...

What about wearing them on the back of your head? That just oozes style...

Great blog, I plan on following. Your style is classic and incredibly fresh. I am new to fashion and trying to build my own style and am certain you will be of help to me.

It's not a fashion blog, but I just started my own where I plan to share insights on books, music, and life. Come check it out and let me know what you think (www.thehambonechronicles.wordpress.com). Its always nice to add another follower!