Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reader Question: Inseam Unease

Reader:

My question is about suit pants and the proper length. Some magazines suggest having your pants a little shorter than normal and either going sockless or adding some splashes with some wild socks which I liked both looks. However if i just want some normal looking suit pants where should I get them hemmed to? The askmen.com website suggests half way between the ground and top of the sole of the shoe. I felt this was too long. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

SB:

Hey thanks for reading. Hmmm. "Normal" looking is not my forte (just kidding), I know what you mean. Although it's a cool look, depending on the occasion, the weather, the season, your shoes, etc. sometimes you just don't want your ankles showing.

People have been arguing back and forth about inseam lengths for ages, and everybody has their opinion (along with level of traditionalism). It really comes down to a matter of personal preference. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

As a general guideline I wear my pants slightly (1/2" or so) shorter in the summer. If you are really anal (like me) you can learn to hem your own pants and change the length by the season, but if you are looking for something "normal" that can be worn year round I'd say my new "standard" would hit at about 1/4" - 1/2" past the top of the back of your shoe, and try having them hemmed slightly at an angle so that the front is not breaking too much.

Hope this helps. SB

2 comments:

L.A.S said...

Asking your tailor for "little to no break" usually gets the job done.

Blank Label said...

i like a slight break at the shoe, but not too much so as you walk, your stride reveals the rad socks you are wearing. or no socks at all!