Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Return of the Denim Jacket

In a related story, the denim jacket is also back like it forgot something.

With denim jackets, however, there is greater downside then upside, meaning it is much easier to get it wrong then it is to get it right. Here are some tips:

1. Keep it simple. Go with a basic "trucker-style" jacket with a collar and a button-front. Stay away from motorcyle collars, zippers, True-Religion-like stitching, or any other "designer" details. Levis is your best bet, they`ve been doing it for decades and have barely changed their awesome design.

2. Go vintage! If you can get your hands on a vintage denim jacket, one that has been well worn-in, grab it! I got mine on ebay from a real trucker whose been wearing it since long before I was born. When I got it it smelled like smoke and had holes in it...but after a good wash and a visit to my seamstress it is one of my favorite items in my wardrobe. I`m actually wearing it right now. Total cost: about $35.

3. Fit Fit Fit. A denim jacket should fit like a jacket, not a coat. It should be slim, snug in the shoulders and hit a little above your waist. As a guide, I`m 6 foot 2, 195 lbs and have a size 38 (S-M).

4. Rough up the collar. Wear the collar half-popped, or messed-up. Basically, make it look roughed-up, as should be.

5. Roll up the sleeves.

6. Wear it alot. It gets better with time, so don`t be afraid to get some use out of it. The beauty of it is that you can wear it with anything...from a shirt and tie to a layer over a graphic t-shirt, and everything in between.

7. Accesorize the left pocket. Not every time, but don`t be afraid to throw in a colorful linen/cotten pocket square (note "throw in", not folded square) or a pair of shades, or both.

WARNING, FOR ADVANCED SARTORIALISTS ONLY. 8. Wear it with jeans. That`s right, the old Canadian tuxedo. If you have the swagger to pull it off, try wearing your worn-in denim jacket with a pair of jeans in a different (preferably darker) wash. Never match them. This is one of my favorite looks right now. I even sometimes wear a denim/chambray shirt with it (in a third shade).

I have some great pics of some gentlemen killin-it in denim jackets...can`t wait to share them.

Yours in style, Style Blogger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see your trucker jacket and I raise you a utilitarian army jacket- can pull the same moves except for maybe the pocket square, I think it is also very modern when done right